top of page

Review of the Residential Tenancies Act 1987  - how will it affect Landlords  and         how REIWA is trying to advocate for Landlords - REIWA Advocacy 

Did You Know There Is A Minimum Level of Security For All Rental Properties?

Did You Know About Legislation for Blinds & Curtain Cord Safety?

Portable Swimming Pool Compliance

Smoke Alarms & RCD'S

Why Choose  Border Real Estate?

WA Owned and Operated


Border Real Estate is a local independent Real Estate Agency, owned and operated in Western Australia.

Experience Counts

Why risk your most expensive investment with inexperienced or out of area agents?

  • Our Property Managers have more than 15 years experience each AND at the same real estate agency.

  • We track the market closely so we can always give honest and realistic advice on the local rental market and expected yields.

  • We believe Property Management is more than coordinating tenancies and rental payments — it’s about helping you achieve your financial goals.


It's A Difficult Rental Market 

  • We book home opens and private viewings often after hours and on weekends maximizing opportunities for all prospective tenants to view your property.

  • We carefully check and contact references for ALL rental applicants including national tenancy databases, but you will always be offered the final say in selection.

  • We will discuss with you how to ensure your property is comparable on the rental market to ensure minimum vacancy.

We understand and care about our work and we care about your investment. Allan Rowland, has almost 20 years Real Estate experience and also works closely with the Property Managers and the Landlords to help achieve the best outcome and returns. Give us a call for a friendly, no obligation chat on 9452 9000 or 0439516399 or email

Pet Friendly Rentals 
Should you allow Pets - The Pros & Cons

If you as a landlord are comfortable with a tenant having pets in your property we think it is a big positive. We have found that Tenants struggle to find pet friendly rental properties so if you allowed pets you would find yourself at a competitive advantage. Due to pet owners finding it hard to rent somewhere that is pet friendly they tend  to stay put and be very loyal when they do find something.


The cons of allowing a pet are not high as we will always get references and check previous rental history with the pet.

When allowing pets at your property there are conditions that do apply to the tenant which will put you at ease. 

We always sign pet conditions with your tenant on their tenancy agreement. This obligates them in 4 ways: 

  1. No additional pet may occupy the property without prior permission.

  2. The pet must be removed from the property if it becomes annoying or bothersome to neighbours (after reasonable warning has been given in writing).

  3. The tenant is responsible for any damage caused by their pet, and removed any rubbish or faeces deposited by the pet.

  4. A pet bond of $260 will be collected in the event that a fumigation treatment is required.

Landlord Insurance - is it needed?

Q-Why do I need landlord insurance if I have an agent?

A-We at no time can guarantee your tenant’s performance at your property. The risk belongs to the owner of the property, and therefore the owner should be insured for such a risk.
Q-Why do I need landlord insurance if I have a good tenant?

A-Even a good tenancy can turn bad. If the tenant’s circumstances change due to relationship breakdown or job loss sometimes the tenancy will become unstable. This can result in rent owing and the property not maintained. It pays to be properly insured, even with a good tenant.
Q-What does landlord insurance cover?

A-Landlord insurance will generally cover rent loss due to tenant default and malicious damage to the property caused by the tenant. Some policies cover further losses. It is important for you to know what your landlord insurance policy will and won’t cover. Please consult with your landlord insurer so that you are fully aware of the extent of your cover and also any excesses that may be applicable in the event of a claim.

Tenancy Debt Recovery

Q-If my Landlord Insurance doesn't cover all the tenant debts how can I recover it?

A-We recommend use of a debt collection agency. Barclay MIS  Protect & Collect for a yearly fee of $66 will offer debt recovery, in addition to loss of rent, for items not normally covered by Landlord Insurance including but not limited to cleaning, rubbish removal, gardening, animal damage. 

How to Maximise Rental Returns

How can you help obtain a higher return on your Rental Property?
Having the property presented in the best manner possible will usually attract higher rent. However in the current rental market it may be that the presentation of a property will be the deciding factor when a tenant has many properties to choose from which all have similar attributes.

We will strive to get you the maximum rent possible; however we must keep in mind setting the correct market rent to get your property rented as soon as possible.
Below are some factors we consider when marketing your property.
1.    Demand- Is there a high or low demand for properties at present. This can be seasonal and affected by a number of factors.
2.    What is available now- We look at properties currently available for rent on the internet and consider their location and features for comparison to calculate a maximum rent for your property.
3.    What we have rented now- We compare your property with what we have currently rented taking into account property locations and features.

Also air conditioning and heating are a big draw card when tenants are choosing where they want to live. Include lawn mowing and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing your lawns are being looked after all year round and not just when the 3 monthly inspection is due!!

bottom of page